German Chocolate Cake. This German chocolate cake recipe is one of Betty Crocker's most popular desserts, and for good reason. The step-by-step instructions clearly walk you through the process you need to create a homemade masterpiece. For bakers who want to learn more about how to make the perfect cake, this easy German chocolate cake recipe is the ideal hands-on.
Grease waxed paper and set aside. In small saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat; cool. German Chocolate Cake is a sweet chocolate cake that is filled and frosted with rich, sticky coconut, and pecan filling. You can cook German Chocolate Cake using 27 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of German Chocolate Cake
- Prepare 2 Cups of All purpose Flour.
- You need 1 Cup of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder.
- Prepare 2 Cups of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 3 Teaspoons of Baking Powder.
- Prepare 3 Teaspoons of Baking Soda.
- It’s 1 Teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/4 Cup of Instant Coffee.
- Prepare 2/3 Cup of Canola.
- It’s 3 of Large Eggs.
- You need 3/4 Cup of Full Fat Sour cream.
- Prepare 3/4 Cup of Buttermilk.
- It’s 4 Teaspoons of vanilla Extract.
- Prepare 2/3 Cups of Hot water.
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter.
- It’s 1 Cup of Brown Sugar.
- Prepare 4 of Eggs yolks.
- It’s 10 oz of Evaporated Milk.
- You need 2 Teaspoon of Vanilla.
- It’s 2 Cups of Sweetend Shredded Coconut.
- It’s 1 Cup of chopped Pecans.
- It’s of Chocolate Butter Cream.
- It’s 4 Sticks of Unsalted Butter.
- Prepare 7 1/2 Cups of Confectioners Sugar.
- Prepare 1 1/2 of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Heavy Cream.
- It’s 4 teaspoons of Vanilla.
Despite its name, the cake isn't German at all. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated. The name German chocolate cake is a little deceiving as it is not actually a German dessert and traditionally the cake is a lighter colored cake with a mild chocolate taste and the entire cake is usually covered in coconut pecan frosting.
German Chocolate Cake step by step
- Mix all dry cake ingredients before adding the liquids. Add the liquids and beat with blender for 3 to 4 minutes..
- Grease (3) 9" round pans and add a piece of parchment paper to the bottom. Trace the pan on the parchment paper and cut inside the line about 1/4, place in pan and oil more on top of it..
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 23 to 27 mins, time will vary. Check with toothpick or fork in center to see if done..
- While cakes are baking, Mix the filling in a bowl. Chop your pecan with a knife and mix. Add to pan and cook on medium heat for 12 to 18 minutes sturning occasionally, the mix will thinken and caramelize when done..
- Take cakes out of the oven and let cool. Remove from pans and continue to let cool seperately, you will thank your self for the parchment paper inserts now..
- Chocolate butter cream, add soften butter and liquids and mix, then add in about a cup if dry mix as you go. You may need to add a splash of milk if to think. (I MADE THIS, AND WAS ALOT, I USED ABOUT 3/4 OF IT) you can save the rest if you have left overs..
- Layer the cake, add the mix onto the cake. I used an Ice cream scope and worked okay. Grt it on think and make level forcthe next level. Repeat and place the top cake on there. Leave about 1 scope or half cup for to topping..
- After the cake cools a bit more, add the chocolate buttercream all around, you have plenty to work with. Then add the remaining mix on top, sread out and add a little more chocolate buttercream to smooth out a circle around the mix. I put the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes after final assembly to harden the buttercream. Sit back out on the counter and get ready for the best German Chocolate Cake!… Have a glass of milk ready if you into this kinda thing..
Allow chocolate to melt while you combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with eggs and buttermilk until combined. German chocolate cakes are known for being rich, indulgent cakes, so enjoy a slice with a glass of milk. German Chocolate Cake isn't actually German. This ultimate recipe for German Chocolate Cake uses a moderate amount of semisweet or bittersweet.