Pain perdu (French toast). Place the cooked slices of toast on a baking sheet and freeze just until firm. To reheat, place frozen slices in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. This is not your typical French toast recipe.
Pain perdu literally means "lost bread." This French toast recipe, or pain perdu, is an easy preparation of thickly sliced bread soaked in a sweetened, vanilla-scented custard mixture and then fried in butter to golden perfection. The name pain perdu literally means lost bread and is used in reference to using day-old bread that would otherwise be lost. In a large bowl, whisk together. You can have Pain perdu (French toast) using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pain perdu (French toast)
- Prepare of French bread.
- You need of eggs depending on how much you make.
- It’s of milk x.
- You need of heaping tablespoon flour.
- Prepare of sugar.
- It’s of vanilla extract.
- It’s of Good pinch of salt.
Pain Perdu (French Toast) Pain Perdu (pronounced pan pare-due) literally means "lost bread", referring to this dishes' magical ability to rescue stale bread that would otherwise be lost. It's the original French Toast, and with a crisp buttery exterior and a soft custardy interior Pain Perdu makes for a sinful Sunday morning brunch. What is the origin of French toast? Pain Perdu is really the origins of our American "French Toast" recipes, but I find it's even better with a thicker, heartier bread like a baguette.
Pain perdu (French toast) instructions
- Slice bread into 1 inch or so slices (I like mine thick).
- Whisk well the remaining ingredients..
- Soak the bread in the custard until completely saturated..
- In a skillet on med-hi heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and a 1 tablespoon oil. Cook each slice until golden brown on both sides, adjusting the heat if necessary so it doesn't burn..
- The tablespoon of flour helps to produce a very nice crust. Serve with butter and powdered sugar or whatever you like on yours..
What are the ingredients of Le Pain Perdu? The ingredients are simple and chances are you have all of them already on hand. French Toast is considered to be a French recipe, although an American version of it. Since the actual recipe is known as Pain Perdu. In French, the meaning of pain perdu is "lost bread." Many people believe that it deals with the usage of old bread that might go to waste if not repurposed.