German chocolate cake. This German chocolate cake recipe is one of Betty Crocker’s most popular desserts, and for good reason. The step-by-step instructions clearly walk you through the process you need to create a homemade masterpiece. For bakers who want to learn more about how to make the perfect cake, this easy German chocolate cake recipe is the ideal hands-on.
Grease waxed paper and set aside. In small saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat; cool. German Chocolate Cake is a sweet chocolate cake that is filled and frosted with rich, sticky coconut, and pecan filling. You can cook German chocolate cake using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of German chocolate cake
- It’s of cake.
- Prepare of German sweet chocolate.
- You need of water, boiling.
- It’s of butter.
- You need of egg yolks.
- Prepare of cake flour.
- You need of baking soda.
- It’s of salt.
- Prepare of buttermilk.
- It’s of egg whites, beaten stiff.
- Prepare of frosting.
- Prepare of egg yolks.
- Prepare of evaporated milk.
- It’s of sugar.
- You need of coconut flakes.
- It’s of pecans, chopped.
- It’s of vanilla.
Despite its name, the cake isn’t German at all. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated. The name German chocolate cake is a little deceiving as it is not actually a German dessert and traditionally the cake is a lighter colored cake with a mild chocolate taste and the entire cake is usually covered in coconut pecan frosting.
German chocolate cake instructions
- Melt chocolate in boiling water,set aside. Cream butter and sugar, add yolks and beat well. Blend in vanilla and chocolate..
- Sift flour, salt and soda. Add to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Fold in beaten egg whites..
- Bake in 3 floured pans @350° for 35-40 minutes..
- Cream butter and sugar, add yolks and milk. Cook over medium heat about 12 min. stirring, until thick. remove from heat and add pecans, coconut,and vanilla..
Allow chocolate to melt while you combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with eggs and buttermilk until combined. German chocolate cakes are known for being rich, indulgent cakes, so enjoy a slice with a glass of milk. German Chocolate Cake isn’t actually German. This ultimate recipe for German Chocolate Cake uses a moderate amount of semisweet or bittersweet.