Fried Chicken in Spicy Tomato (Ayam Goreng Masak Merah). Fried Chicken in Spicy Tomato (Ayam Goreng Masak Merah) instructions. High heat is necessary to prevent the meat from sticking. Rest the chicken and set aside.
Then add the blended paste and chicken. Mix well and fry until the oil separates. Once the oil separates, turn down the heat and add the coconut milk, palm sugar, tamarind slices, tomato puree and salt. You can have Fried Chicken in Spicy Tomato (Ayam Goreng Masak Merah) using 21 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fried Chicken in Spicy Tomato (Ayam Goreng Masak Merah)
- It’s 350 g of Chicken Meat (with skin, boneless).
- You need of Dry Rub Marinade;.
- It’s 1 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of Blended Paste;.
- You need 40 g of Shallots.
- You need 30 g of Garlic.
- It’s 20 g of Ginger.
- You need 3 of Red Chilies (deseeded).
- It’s of Basic Ketchup Recipe;.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Tomato Puree.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Vinegar.
- You need 1/3 cup of Water.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Sugar.
- It’s 2 pinches of Salt (2 g).
- You need of For Frying;.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Ghee or Butter.
- Prepare as needed of Cooking Oil.
- You need of Optional;.
- Prepare 1 pc of Tomato (diced).
- You need 1 pc of Onion (sliced).
Brown the chicken in the hot oil until golden on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. Cook and stir the chile paste with the cinnamon, star anise, cloves and cardamom seeds until fragrant. Marinade chicken in turmeric powder and a pinch of salt, and set aside.
Fried Chicken in Spicy Tomato (Ayam Goreng Masak Merah) step by step
- Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder and salt and rest for minimum 30 minutes..
- When ready, heat oil in wok or a pan at high heat (400°c) for shallow frying. High heat is necessary to prevent the meat from sticking. Rest the chicken and set aside..
- Add 2 Tbsp of Ghee and 1 Tbsp of Oil to the pan/wok on high heat and fry the blended paste until fragrant (10 seconds). Then Turn the heat down to low heat..
- Add the pre-made ketchup and mix well. Optionally you can add your tomatoes here too. Bring it to a boil and cover with a lid. Cook the the sauce until it’s reduced to a desired consistency. Be sure to stir every 5 minutes..
- Add in the chicken and coat the chicken with the sauce. Don’t linger for too long or the crispy skin will get soggy. Optionally you can add your onions here. Dish is ready to serve..
- COMMENTARY; This dish is a deconstruction of Spicy Tomato Chicken; breaking down Spicy Tomato Chicken into it’s elements then reinterpreting it. Also, linguistically, tomato sauce means ketchup and as unflattering as it sounds, this dish is exactly Fried Chicken in Spicy Ketchup. So, there is a difference between chicken braised in Gulai with tomato puree, and fried chicken tossed in spicy ketchup..
Blend onion, tomatoes and lemongrass to a smooth fine paste, adding a little water if necessary. Heat oil in a non-stick wok and fry the marinated chicken till lightly browned. The chicken is marinated in turmeric and salt and pan-fried prior to simmering in coconut milk with tomato sauce. Expect a sweet and mildly spicy dish which pairs well with steamed rice and a side of veggies. Malaysian Spicy Tomato Chicken (Ayam Masak Merah) Author: The Cooking Jar Ayam Merak Merah – Malaysian fried chicken in a thick rich tomato curry sauce.