German Chocolate Cake. This German chocolate cake recipe is one of Betty Crocker’s most popular desserts, and for good reason. The step-by-step instructions clearly walk you through the process you need to create a homemade masterpiece. For bakers who want to learn more about how to make the perfect cake, this easy German chocolate cake recipe is the ideal hands-on.
Grease waxed paper and set aside. In small saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat; cool. German Chocolate Cake is a sweet chocolate cake that is filled and frosted with rich, sticky coconut, and pecan filling. You can have German Chocolate Cake using 19 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of German Chocolate Cake
- Prepare of frosting.
- Prepare of chocolate chips.
- Prepare of whipping cream.
- It’s of butter.
- It’s of Cake.
- You need of egg yolks.
- Prepare of sugar.
- Prepare of vanilla extract.
- It’s of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare of starch.
- It’s of cocoa.
- It’s of melted butter.
- You need of baking powder.
- It’s of milk.
- It’s of egg whites.
- Prepare of filling.
- You need of cherry pie filling.
- You need of Topping.
- You need of chocolate shavings (optional).
Despite its name, the cake isn’t German at all. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated. The name German chocolate cake is a little deceiving as it is not actually a German dessert and traditionally the cake is a lighter colored cake with a mild chocolate taste and the entire cake is usually covered in coconut pecan frosting.
German Chocolate Cake instructions
- In a pot, slowly heat the whipping cream. When almost at a boil remove from heat and add the butter and chocolate chips. Mix with a whisk until everything is melted and smooth. You can choose milk or semi sweet chocolate chips..
- Put cream in fridge until cooled completely..
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With a mixer, whip egg yolks, vanilla and sugar until peaks form..
- Combine all dry ingredients. Starch can be substituted with 1/2 cup of flour..
- While mixing, add melded butter to egg yolks.
- Alternating with the milk, add the dry ingredients while constantly mixing..
- Whip the egg whites until peaks form..
- With a whisk, carefully mix the egg whites with the batter..
- Grease the bottom of a round cake pan and fill in batter. Bake for 25-35 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick test comes out clean..
- Remove cake from pan an put on cooling rack..
- Take cream out of fridge and whip with mixer until peaks form..
- Slice cake into 3 layers. Spread cherry pie filling on first layer..
- Put 2nd layer on top and spread a layer of frosting, about 1/4″ thick on top. Finish with 3rd layer and dirty ice the cake..
- Finish frosting the cake with the remaining frosting and sprinkle with chocolate shavings..
Allow chocolate to melt while you combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with eggs and buttermilk until combined. German chocolate cakes are known for being rich, indulgent cakes, so enjoy a slice with a glass of milk. German Chocolate Cake isn’t actually German. This ultimate recipe for German Chocolate Cake uses a moderate amount of semisweet or bittersweet.